2D Game Development with libGDX
Building Cross Platform Mobile Games
About this Course
This course explores how to use LibGDX to build 2D games that run anywhere, from web browsers to mobile devices. We start with simple drawings, and then turn to simple animations, physics, and user input handling. Finally, we create a full game, called Icicles, where icicles rain down from the top of the screen, and the player must dodge them using the arrow keys or by tilting their phone.
Approx. 8 weeks
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
What You Will Learn
Intro to Cross Platform Game Development
- LibGDX allows you write a game and deploy it to Android and iOS devices, desktop computers and browsers.
- Explore the functionality that the LibGDX game framework provides.
Intro to LibGDX
- Import and your first LibGDX project.
- Run it on your computer and Android device.
- Learn the basic structure of a LibGDX game.
- Use the LibGDX ShapeRenderer object to draw some simple shapes (and some not-so-simple fractals).
Cameras and Viewports
- Use a camera to focus the player's field of view on a portion of a larger game world.
- Learn to use viewports to simplify camera management.
- Create simple animations and physics effects by updating the game world over time.
- Learn to break up a complex game into separate screens.
Prerequisites and Requirements
This course assumes basic proficiency with Java, including working with collections, implementing interfaces, and extending abstract classes. It is also assumed that you can read and understand documentation and source code.
Proficiency with Git and Android Studio is helpful, but not required.
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
You already know that making and playing games is the most fun you can have with a computer, but if you need more convincing, you should know that over the last decade, mobile gaming has grown into a huge market. It's full of opportunities for independent game developers, or for people looking to join established gaming studios.
If you want the skills to turn your game ideas into reality, or get ready to jump into professional game development, this is the course for you.
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals