Taking this course will provide you with a basic foundation in Java syntax, which is the first step towards becoming a successful Java developer. You’ll learn how computers make decisions and how Java keeps track of information through variables and data types. You’ll learn to create conditional statements, functions, and loops to process information and solve problems. You’ll even learn to use IntelliJ, a Java IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that professional developers use, to build, compile, and debug your code. These are foundational programming skills, and mastering them is a must for all aspiring programmers. This course is the first in our Java Programming course series. After you complete this course, you'll be ready to take Object Oriented Programming in Java.
Java Programming Basics
Learn Java Syntax and Functions
Approx. 6 Weeks
PrerequisitesSee prerequisites in detail
About this course
What you will learn
How to write Java syntax and create variables
- Discover the basic idea behind programing.
- Write your first Java program.
- Use variables to store and retrieve information.
Using Methods and Conditional Statements
- Use if-else statements and switch-case statements.
- Write Java programs to tackle any decision making scenario.
How to create functions
- Create functions in Java.
- Declare methods with input arguments and return types.
- Call the functions you create.
How to Create Loops
- Use for and while loops to iterate over a block of code.
- Learn how to write nested loops.
- Use 2D arrays to store and retrieve information.
IntelliJ and Debugging
- Learn how to install and use the IntelliJ Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
- Use the IDE to find and solve problems in code.
Prerequisites and requirements
No prior programming experience is needed. Beginners welcome!
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why take this course?
Java is the one of the most popular programming languages in the world today. It works on any platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc), and is the core language used in developing Android apps. It’s a great first language for any aspiring programmer, so whether you want to program Android apps, web apps, or simply learn the foundational skills that all programmers use, this course is a great place to start!
Learn with the best.