Browser Rendering Optimization
Building 60 FPS Web Apps
About this Course
Performance matters to users. Web developers need to build apps that react quickly and render smoothly.
Google performance guru Paul Lewis is here to help you destroy jank and create web apps that maintain 60 frames per second performance.
You'll leave this course with the tools you need to profile apps and identify the causes of jank. You'll explore the browser's rendering pipeline and uncover patterns that make it easy to build performant apps.
Approx. 1 months
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
What You Will Learn
The Critical Rendering Path
- Introduction to the course with Paul Lewis.
- Learn how the browser turns HTML into pixels on the page
- See how different CSS styles affect the rendering pipeline differently.
- How to recognize the four distinct phases in an app's lifecycle: Response, Animation, Idle and Load (RAIL).
- How your frame budget changes depending on where the user is in RAIL.
- Practice thinking through app workloads at different stages in RAIL.
Weapons of Jank Destruction
- How to make sense of the Timeline panel in Chrome DevTools.
- Practice profiling a few different apps to find the source of jank.
- How to debug a janky copy of a production quality app - the QR Snapper.
Styles and Layout
- Learn how accessing the wrong CSS properties can create loads of extra work for the browser.
- Learn how to debug multiple instances of Forced Synchronous Layout.
Compositing and Painting
- Practice profiling layer and paint performance with the paint profiler tool in the DevTools Timeline.
- Learn how to optimize layers to reduce the number of steps the browser needs to take to render each frame.
- Demonstrate everything you've learned about performance as you de-jankify the News Aggregator App!
Prerequisites and Requirements
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
Demystifying the browser's rendering pipeline will make it easy for you to build high performance web apps. By following a few simple principles, you'll be capable of drastically reducing the browser's workload and time needed to render each frame.
You'll start by getting introduce to the individual steps of the rendering pipeline, beginning with parsing HTML and ending with painting pixels on the screen. Then you'll quickly dive into tooling with ample opportunities to practice profiling and debugging apps with Chrome Developer Tools.
The final project uses the Hacker News API and gives you an opportunity to show off everything you've learned as you turn an awful experience into a high performance web app!
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals