Intro to iOS App Development with Swift
Make Your First iPhone App
About this Course
In this course we will build an iPhone app that records a conversation between you and a friend, and then makes your voices sound like a Chipmunk or Darth Vader.
This course will introduce you to iOS app development in Swift, a new programming language from Apple, and serves as your launching point into the iOS Developer Nanodegree.
Approx. 1 months
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
What You Will Learn
Introduction to Swift and Xcode: the tools of iOS
- Learn all the Swift you need to know in 5 min.
- Take a tour of Xcode, Apple's integrated development environment.
- Get to know the Model View Controller, or MVC, design pattern
iOS App Structure: AutoLayout and Buttons
- Learn Storyboard and AutoLayout, the tools used to build user interfaces in iOS.
- Start developing the Pitch Perfect App and creating the UI.
- Use Autolayout constraints to control the placement of UIButtons and UILabels on the screen.
Using ViewControllers to build an app with Multiple Views
- The UIViewController class, View Controller Lifecycle, and Multiple Views.
- Learn how to react to touch events and change the user interface.
- Add a second screen to your app using a UINavigationController.
How to record audio and use the Delegation Design Pattern.
- Learn about the AVFoundation class, AVAudioRecorder.
- Setup audio recording in the Pitch Perfect App.
- Practice using the Delegation pattern and implement programmatic segues.
Prerequisites and Requirements
This course assumes prior programming experience. Specifically, you should have a strong understanding of programming concepts like variables, if statements, loops, functions, and classes. Lesson 1 of Intro to Computer Science and Programming Foundations with Python are good courses to take if you are completely new to programming.
You will also need access to a Mac computer running OS X 10.10 or later.
We have designed this course such that you will not need a physical device (i.e. an iPhone or an iPad) to build your app. We will be using a simulator on your mac that will imitate the features of a phone on your computer. Towards the end of the course we will provide instructions on how to download your app on an iPhone (in case you do have access to a physical device.)
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
This course will set you on your way to becoming an iOS Developer, where you’ll establish a basic understanding of the iOS ecosystem. You’ll also have working knowledge of Swift, Apple’s custom programming language created exclusively for the mobile developer.
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals