Data Wrangling with MongoDB
Thank you for signing up for the course! We look forward to working with you and hearing your feedback in our forums.
Need help getting started?
Datasets used in this course
You can download the full datasets used in this course. The ones used in the course UI are usually trimmed versions of these:
Lesson Videos and Notes can be downloaded from the Resources tab (file icon on the left side of the classroom). Certain pages also include links to datasets like those linked above.
Installing additional Modules in Python
- xlutils (xlrd/xlwd)
pip install requests xlutils beautifulsoup4 pymongo
(pip is a package management system used to install and manage software packages written in Python)
Exercise and Example Code
You can download the code here as zip, or check out the repo on GitHub.
Additional MongoDB Materials
- Assessing the Quality of Data
- Intro to Tabular Formats
- Parsing CSV
- Parsing XLS with XLRD
- Intro to JSON
- Using Web APIs
Lesson 2: Data in More Complex Formats
- Intro to XML
- XML Design Principles
- Parsing XML
- Web Scraping
- Parsing HTML
Lesson 3: Data Quality
- What is Data Cleaning?
- Sources of Dirty Data
- Measuring Data Quality
- A Blueprint for Cleaning
- Auditing Validity
- Auditing Accuracy
- Auditing Completeness
- Auditing Consistency
- Auditing Uniformity
Lesson 4: Working with MongoDB
- Data Modeling in MongoDB
- Introduction to PyMongo
- Field Queries
- Projection Queries
- Getting Data into MongoDB
- Using mongoimport
- Operators like $gt, $lt, $exists, $regex
- Querying Arrays and using $in and $all Operators
- Changing entries: $update, $set, $unset
Lesson 5: Analyzing Data
- Examples of Aggregation Framework
- The Aggregation Pipeline
- Aggregation Operators: $match, $project, $unwind, $group
- Multiple Stages Using a Given Operator
Lesson 6: Case Study - OpenStreetMap Data
- Using iterative parsing for large data files
- Open Street Map XML Overview
- Exercises around OpenStreetMap data
Final Project: OpenStreetMap Data
- Use important skills from data munging to improve OpenStreetMaps data for a part of the world that you care about and give back to the community.
- You can find the final project grading rubric here. It also contains final project submission instructions for students who are enrolled in the full course experience.