Material Design for Android Developers
Make Your Android Apps Material
About this Course
In this course, you'll learn how to apply the material design principles that define Android's visual language to your apps. We'll start by walking you through Android design fundamentals, then we'll show you how to apply this knowledge to transform design elements of sample apps. By the end of the course, you'll understand how to create and use material design elements, surfaces, transitions and graphics in your app, across multiple form factors.
Approx. 4 weeks
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
What You Will Learn
Android Design Fundamentals
- Understand and apply the fundamentals of Android design to your app.
- Understand app structures, common navigation patterns and themes.
- Understand how to use surfaces to structure the hierarchy in an app.
- Learn how use surfaces to control interaction of elements in an app.
Bold Graphic Design
- Learn how to effectively use imagery and fonts.
- Learn how to effectively use color.
- Learn how to apply themes and styles.
- How to properly time an animation.
- Transition between application states.
- Learn how to create orderly animations.
Prerequisites and Requirements
To get the most out of this course, you should have prior experience developing Android apps. If you lack this experience, please take Developing Android Apps prior to enrolling in this one. We also recommend taking Advanced Android App Development if you are interested in publishing your app to the Google Play Store.
To follow along with course activities, you must have access to the latest release of Android Studio, and should have access to an Android device for running and testing your apps.
We share code through Github, so you must be familiar with using Github to access code. Take our course on Using Git and Github if you lack this background.
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
What makes an app intuitive or easy to use? What makes it hard or frustrating? Learning the foundations of good design and platform-specific design patterns will help you create better apps for your users.
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals