Gradle for Android and Java
Build Better Apps Through Automation
About this Course
This course explores how the Gradle build tool compiles and packages apps, and you'll learn to customize the build process. The first half of this course is for anyone interested in Gradle, build automation, and continuous delivery of software.
The latter half of the course reveals the magic that happens after you hit the "Run" button in Android Studio. You'll also explore advanced Android topics, learning to configure free vs paid app flavors, create and integrate Android libraries, test your app, and prepare your app for the Play Store.
Approx. 6 weeks
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
What You Will Learn
- Understand Gradle's capabilities and role in Java and Android builds.
- Learn the Gradle task model, and put together your first build!
- Explore the Gardle build lifecycle.
Gradle for Java
- Understand the Gradle plugin system, and explore the Java plugin.
- Build and test Java projects.
- Learn to use Gradle for Dependency management.
Gradle for Android
- Use Gradle in Android Studio.
- Explore the features of the Gradle Android plugin and build process.
- Build an Android app with free and paid product flavors.
Advanced Android Builds
- Create Android libraries and apps that depend on them.
- Use advanced features of the Android Gradle Plugin to configure signing, obfuscation, and optimization.
- Configure Android testing.
Prerequisites and Requirements
This is an advanced course aimed at students with experience developing Android or Java apps.
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
As your software projects get more ambitious, the process of building and deploying your apps will become more and more involved. However, modern software development requires rapid iterative releases, known as continuous delivery. Gradle is a next-generation build automation system that makes continuous delivery of complex projects a reality.
Gradle supports many languages and tools, and is tightly integrated with Android Studio. This course is useful for any developer seeking to understand Gradle, but focuses on Android builds. The default Android build settings are enough to put a simple debug app on your phone, but to build an app that's ready for the Google Play Store, you'll need to understand your build process and how to customize it.
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals