Advanced Android with Kotlin
Develop Feature-Rich Android Apps with the Kotlin Programming Language.
About this Course
Go beyond the basics of building an Android app with "Advanced Android with Kotlin". This course teaches you how to add a range of advanced features to your app, starting with best practices for using Android's notification system. You'll learn how to create and clip custom views, draw directly to a canvas, and add animations to your apps. You'll also add maps to your apps and learn to style them. Testing an app is as important as building it, so you'll learn to test your app to catch and fix bugs so that users never see them. Finally, you'll learn how to let users login to your app with their existing accounts—you'll be surprised how little code it takes.
Approx. 2 months
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
Chief Android Advocate
Android Developer Advocate
What You Will Learn
- Send messages to users using notifications
- Design and style notifications
- Add buttons and actions to notifications
- Send push messages using Firebase Cloud Messaging
- Create custom views for your app
- Create and display transformed and clipped regions to the screen
- Build an app that allows users to paint directly on the screen
- Use animations to draw attention to important UI elements and beautiful designs
- Animate UI elements with property animations
- Use declarative XML with MotionLayout to coordinate animations across multiple views
- Add Google Maps to your Android apps
- Style maps to fit your design
- Enable location services and tracking
- Learn how to test your app before distribution to avoid crashes or unpredicatable behavior
- Write and run tests for Android, including AndroidX Test
- Test your whole app: UI, data, and code using coroutines, Room, Espresso, and data binding
Prerequisites and Requirements
General Experience: Comfortable with Object Oriented Programming and Android fundamentals with Kotlin.
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
Kotlin is an official language for Android development, and can be used in a variety of other applications, from back-end development to data analysis. It is an open-source, modern programming language that lets developers use both object-oriented and functional programming techniques. It is concise, safe, and fully interoperable with Java. The community of Kotlin developers is growing rapidly, with major companies like Netflix, Pinterest, and Google using Kotlin.
This free course was developed by Kotlin experts at Google, and will teach you how to add a range of advanced features to your app, covering topics such as notifications, maps, testing, identity management, and more.
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals