Automating the Boring Tasks
About this Course
In this class you will learn how to debug programs systematically, how to automate the debugging process and build several automated debugging tools in Python.
Approx. 2 months
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
What You Will Learn
How Debuggers work
- Theory: Scientific method and its application to debugging.
- Fun fact: First bug in the history of computer science.
- Practice: Building a simple tracer.
- Theory: Assertions in testing and in debugging.
- Fun fact: The most expensive bug in history.
- Practice: Improving the tracer.
- Theory: Strategy of simplifying failures. Binary search. Delta debugging principle.
- Fun fact: Mozilla bugathon.
- Practice: Building a delta debugger.
- Theory: Cause-effect chain. Deduction. Dependencies. Slices.
- Fun fact: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson.
- Practice: Improving the delta debugger.
- Theory: Types of bugs (Bohr bug, Heisenbug, Mandelbug, Schrodinbug). Systematic reproduction process.
- Fun fact: Mad laptop bug.
- Practice: Building a statistic debugging tool.
Prerequisites and Requirements
Basic knowledge of programming and Python at the level of Udacity CS101 or better is required. Basic understanding of Object-oriented programming is helpful.
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
At the end of this course you will have a solid understanding about systematic debugging, will know how to automate debugging and will have built several functional debugging tools in Python.
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals