Intro to Data Science
Learn What It Takes to Become a Data Scientist
About this Course
The Introduction to Data Science class will survey the foundational topics in data science, namely:
- Data Manipulation
- Data Analysis with Statistics and Machine Learning
- Data Communication with Information Visualization
- Data at Scale -- Working with Big Data
The class will focus on breadth and present the topics briefly instead of focusing on a single topic in depth. This will give you the opportunity to sample and apply the basic techniques of data science.
This course is also a part of our Data Analyst Nanodegree.
Approx. 2 months
Included in Product
Rich Learning Content
Taught by Industry Pros
What You Will Learn
Introduction to Data Science
- Pi-Chaun (Data Scientist @ Google): What is Data Science?
- Gabor (Data Scientist @ Twitter): What is Data Science?
- Problems solved by data science.
- Statistical rigor.
- Kurt (Data Scientist @ Twitter) - Why is Stats Useful?
- Introduction to normal distribution.
- Effective information visualization.
- An analysis of Napoleon's invasion of Russia!
- Don (Principal Data Scientist @ AT&T): Communicating Findings.
Prerequisites and Requirements
The ideal students for this class are prepared individuals who have:
- Strong interest in data science
- Background in intro level statistics
- Python programming experience
- Or understanding of programming concepts such as variables, functions, loops, and basic python data structures like lists and dictionaries
If you need to brush up on your programming, we highly recommend Introduction to Computer Science: Building a Search Engine. If you need a refresher on statistics, enroll in Intro to Descriptive Statistics and Intro to Inferential Statisitics. All three are on Udacity!
See the Technology Requirements for using Udacity.
Why Take This Course
You will have an opportunity to work through a data science project end to end, from analyzing a dataset to visualizing and communicating your data analysis.
Through working on the class project, you will be exposed to and understand the skills that are needed to become a data scientist yourself.
What do I get?
- Instructor videos
- Learn by doing exercises
- Taught by industry professionals