Udacity, Inc. is providing a program under which it will grant scholarships to students who apply for sponsorships of fees ("Contest"). Udacity shall provide fully-funded sponsorship ("Android Scholarships") for one or more of the following services: (i) a staffed and supported unique instance of Android Basics: User Interface ("Forum Supported MOOC"), (ii) a three month license to the Android Basics Nanodegree by Google ("Basics Program"), and (iii) the Associate Android Developer Training and Certification program ("AAD Program"), collectively referred to herein as "Android Program(s)."
By applying for the Android Scholarships described herein you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and contest rules. Udacity is not responsible for the policies, regulations, laws, actions, or inactions of others that might prevent you from applying for or participating in the Contest, and/or claiming the Android Scholarship if you’re declared a Winner. Participation in this Contest constitutes Participant’s full and unconditional agreement to Udacity’s decisions in administering the contest, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. If you wish to be removed from eligibility for the Contest, please email Udacity customer service at email@example.com.
The Contest is sponsored and administered by Udacity, Inc., a (U.S.) Delaware corporation located at 2465 Latham St. 3rd Floor, Mountain View, California 94040, United States of America ("Udacity" or "Sponsor").
Registrants that apply for the Android Scholarships between November 21, 2016 and December 18, 2016 and meet all eligibility requirements described herein are eligible for the Android Scholarships awarded herein ("Application Period"). Award of Android Scholarships shall happen on a periodically rolling basis and notification of awards will be sent to winners before January 10, 2017 (together with the Application Period, the "Contest Period").
The Contest is only open to individuals who are:
- at the time of entry are at least 18 years of age on the date of entry;
- residents of any jurisdiction in the following list of countries that does not otherwise ban participation in the Contest or where Udacity is unable provide its services by law ("Participants"): Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK, Iceland, Switzerland, Norway, and Liechtenstein.
Employees and officers of Sponsor, the parties’ advertising and promotion agencies, and all other entities participating in the design, promotion, marketing, advertising, administration or fulfillment of this Contest and their immediate families ("Promotion Parties") are ineligible to participate in this Contest. Void where else restricted or prohibited by law. Participants' rights and responsibilities may vary by jurisdiction.
Potential Winners will be required to sign, notarize, and return an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, a Liability/Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. Failure to comply with such requirements within the time period stipulated by Sponsor may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
How to Apply
At any time during the Contest Period, access the Android Scholarship application from https://www.udacity.com/google-scholarships and complete the application in full prior to the end of the Application Period.
Entry Submission Conditions
Only one (1) Entry per Participant during the Contest Period. Each Participant is limited to one (1) entry for the Contest Period. All requested information in the application must be completed to enter and to be eligible to win. Participants will be deemed to be the Authorized Account Holder of the registered student account that completes the application. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to the registered student account by Udacity. In the event of a dispute over the ownership of a registered student account, the prize will be awarded to the Authorized Account Holder of the registered student account.
Selection of Winners
The winners will be selected by Udacity in its sole discretion.
Judges will evaluate each Participant’s coursework in eligible courses and Nanodegree programs and select winners based on the below criteria:
- Satisfactory completion of the application for the Scholarship
- Demonstrated ability to successfully complete or make substaintial progress in online courses like those offered on Udacity.com
- Sufficient prerequisite knowledge necessary for the programs
- Review of the content of all applications will be evaluated based on the quality and thoughtfulness of their responses.
- Submissions should incorporate the following elements that the judges will use as criteria when selecting contest winners: Goal Orientation and Desire to Make an Impact, Demonstrated Determination and Diversity of Perspective
The decisions of Udacity are final, binding, and not subject to appeal. Sponsor reserves the right to not award all prizes in its sole discretion if it does not receive a sufficient number of qualified and eligible entries, or otherwise for reasons of force-majeure or causes beyond the Sponsor’s reasonable control. In the event of a tie, the sole decision for breaking the tie will be the responsibility of Udacity.
Announcement of Winners:
Winners will be individually contacted by Udacity and/or its representatives via e-mail addresses and contact numbers provided during application for the Android Scholarships. Google or Udacity may also announce winners’ names publicly.
All eligible Participants agree to receive phone calls and emails from Google and its representatives in relation to the AD Scholarship.
Additional Scholarship Terms
- Scholarship winners ("Winners") will have their Android Program fees paid for directly by Udacity.
- Scholarship winners receive credit for a scholarship sufficient to cover fees paid for the eligible Android Program and for no additional amounts. If the Winner(s) decides to take-up any other curriculum or training provided by Udacity, whether related to Basics Program, the AAD Program or otherwise, the cost of subsequent Nanodegree Programs will be borne by the Winner(s) themselves and neither Udacity nor Google shall in any way be liable for payment of any such programs or trainings for any of the Winners or participants.
- There is no cash alternative to the Scholarship. Winners shall not seek any refunds from Udacity for uncompleted Nanodegree Programs or in lieu of forgoing the AD Program and shall not be eligible for any other promotions or discounts offered by Udacity or its partners, including without limitation any applicable "money back" guarantees or any reimbursement programs.
- The Android Scholarships are non-transferrable i.e. the Winners cannot transfer their Android Scholarships to anyone else or share or otherwise lease, rent or divide accounts.
- Udacity shall not be responsible for any taxes or levies that may be applicable on/charged to the Winners by their respective jurisdictions. Winners shall be solely responsible to make appropriate disclosures of their Android Scholarships to relevant authorities and pay taxes and levies as may be applicable to each of the Winners. Udacity will not provide any tax guidance or advice on this matter to any of the Participants and Winners should engage independent consultants/advisors to seek any advice in this regard in their sole discretion.
- Udacity shall not be responsible to re-sponsor the Android Scholarships for any of the Winners if the concerned Winner is unable to undergo the Basics Program or AAD Program, for any reason whatsoever, or is unable to complete it successfully.
- Udacity is not responsible for the content of the Basics Program, the AAD Program or their relevance, suitability or usability for the Winners. The Basics Program and AAD Program shall be governed by the terms and conditions provided by Udacity and Udacity and Google together, respectively.
Representations and Warranties/Indemnification
Participants’ submissions must be the original work of the Participant, may not have been previously published, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. Participant must not have received any other refund or credit for participation in Udacity marketing programs for the eligible programs, including without limitation, any money back guarantee program. By submitting information to Udacity, Participant warrants and represents that he/she consents to the submission and use and exhibition of the submissions in the manner set forth in these Official Rules and the Terms and Conditions of Use of the Website. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Participant for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion.
By participating in the Contest, Participants agree that Udacity may post their first name and the first letter of their last name on a publicly accessible leaderboard displaying their progress during the Contest. If Participant wishes to opt out of this disclosure, you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, identifying your Udacity username and requesting that Udacity either remove you from the Contest and/or suppress display of your name on the contest leaderboard.
By participating in this Scholarship Contest, each Participant agrees that if the Participant is declared a winner, your name may be announced publicly (for example it may be posted on the program’s website) and his or her name and image may be used to promote the Scholarship program. Sponsor may also ask Winners to participate in media activities, but such participation is optional.
Nature of Relationship / Waiver of Equitable Relief
Each Participant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between the Participant and the Sponsor is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the Participant's decision to provide information to Sponsor for purposes of the Contest does not place the Sponsor in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the Participant's Submission. Finally, each Participant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by Participant relating to or arising out of any Sponsor actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Submission or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable Participant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such Participant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief in any way. Some Participants may have additional rights, depending upon their jurisdiction.
The Contest is governed by the laws of the State of California, excluding its conflict-of-laws principles. The exclusive venue for any dispute relating to this Contest shall be Santa Clara County, California.
Limitation of Liability
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, Sponsor WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST PROFITS, REVENUES OR DATA, FINANCIAL LOSSES OR INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES. IN ALL CASES, Sponsor WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE THAT IS NOT REASONABLY FORESEEABLE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF Sponsor FOR ANY CLAIMS UNDER THESE TERMS, INCLUDING FOR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, IS LIMITED TO THE COST OF THE FEES PAID BY PARTICIPANT FOR THE NANODEGREE PROGRAM.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, SPONSORS WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST PROFITS, REVENUES OR DATA, FINANCIAL LOSSES OR INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES. IN ALL CASES, SPONSORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE THAT IS NOT REASONABLY FORESEEABLE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF SPONSORS FOR ANY CLAIMS UNDER THESE TERMS, INCLUDING FOR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, IS LIMITED TO THE COST OF THE FEES PAID BY PARTICIPANT FOR THE NANODEGREE PROGRAM.
General Liability Release/Force Majeure
Participants agree that the Sponsor shall not be responsible or liable for any losses, damages or injuries of any kind resulting from the Contest or any Contest-related activity. Sponsor assume no responsibility for any damage to a Participant's computer system which is occasioned by accessing the Website or participating in the Contest, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, illegible, misdirected, misprinted, late, lost, damaged or stolen Submissions or notifications; or for lost, interrupted, inaccessible or unavailable networks, servers, satellites, Internet Service Providers, websites, or other connections; or for miscommunications, failed, jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected computer, telephone or cable transmissions; or for any technical malfunctions, failures, difficulties or other errors of any kind or nature; or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, and Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Contest as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, or any federal, state or local government law, order, or regulation, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor's control (each a "Force Majeure" event or occurrence), then subject to any governmental approval which may be required, Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Contest. If the Contest is terminated before the designated end date, Sponsor will (if possible) select the winners from all eligible, non-suspect Submissions received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. Participants may have additional rights, and those rights may vary by jurisdiction and Sponsor will abide by additional terms of those jurisdictions.
Upon completion of the Contest, a copy of the Winners List will be found at www.udacity.com/award/winners2017 (when available).