Referral Program Terms and Conditions
Last Updated: September 14, 2023
Terms and Conditions
Udacity, Inc. (“Udacity”) offers our valued community members (“Members”) the chance to grant discounts to friends and family on the purchase of a new Nanodegree Program. From time to time, Udacity may, at its discretion, grant a benefit or reward (the “Referral Benefit”) when Members refer students (“Referred Users”), and such specifics of the Referral Benefit will be contained in Udacity published referral program details (“Referral Program”). Any Referral Benefit offered under the program details in which you participate will apply to you, and you may not substitute the Referral Benefit accrued for other benefit or rewards offered under separate Referral Program opportunities. The specific Member and the Referred User are collectively referred to as the “Participants.”
Udacity reserves the right to (A) determine the eligibility of Users for their participation in the Referral Program and (B) prohibit the Users’ participation in the Referral Program at any time. In order to avail themselves of the benefits/rewards under the Referral Program, the Participants shall ensure compliance with the following:
- The Member shall have a valid User Account;
- Member and Referred User each shall be of legal age (18 years or older); and
- The Participants must be residents of a country that is eligible (where the program is not prohibited by US embargo restrictions, prohibited by local laws or under the Referral Terms).
EARNING AND SPENDING REFERRAL CREDIT(S)
Participants can earn Referral Benefits subject to the following:
- The Member shall share the unique invite link or other identification protocol (the “Invite Link“) as provided by Udacity or Talkable through the Member User Account with the Referred User via such communication medium as notified by Udacity in its sole discretion, such as email, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or Twitter.
- If new to Udacity, the Referred User shall create a User Account only through the Invite Link.
- The Referred User shall (A) subscribe to a qualifying Nanodegree program by paying the applicable fees through their authorized User Account and (B) not cancel their subscription to that Nanodegree program within the refund window or otherwise be removed from that Nanodegree program by Udacity. The Referred User and the Member may not be the same individual to qualify, nor both participating on behalf of the same individual.
- Subject to the Referred User’s compliance with the Referral Terms, the Referred User may receive a one-time use discount coupon, credit or other benefit, as determined by Udacity from time to time, in the amount, set forth in the Udacity referral Program details (the “Recipient Benefit”) subject to the Limitations and Exclusions set forth in the Referral Terms.
- Subject to Member’s strict compliance with these Referral Terms, for each Referred User qualifying purchase or subscription (or other qualifying event specified in the applicable Referral Program opportunity), Member will receive gift card code, credit, coupon or other benefit, as determined by Udacity from time to time, subject to the Limitations and Exclusions of the Referral Program. Referral Benefits may take several weeks after the Referred User subscribes, purchases, enrolls or otherwise satisfies a qualifying event for the Member Referral Benefit to become available to the Member.
- Member Referral Benefits may be subject to restrictions on use, such as, for a gift card code certain vendor restrictions may apply. Similarly, for Referral Benefits in the form of credits towards a Member’s purchase of or participation in a Nanodegree program, in the event of a cancellation of the Nanodegree program by the Member there will be no cash refund for credits applied. Any loss of a Referral Benefit by a Member cannot be replaced by Udacity.
- Udacity may place a limit on the number of eligible referrals in which a Member may receive the Referral Benefit according to the program details which may change from time to time.
- The Member Referral Benefit and Recipient Benefit are hereinafter collectively referred to as “Participant Benefits”.
LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS ON EARNING AND SPENDING OF PARTICIPANT BENEFITS
Participant Benefits which may include credit card codes will be subject to the vendor’s restrictions. Participant Benefits that might include credits for Udacity courses are not perpetual and must be used or the benefits will expire according to the expiration date set forth in the Referral Program opportunity details. (“Expiration Date”).
Any unused Participant Benefits that remain in a Participant’s account after the Expiration Date are forfeited by Participant and Udacity will have no liability to Participant for any unused and expired Referral Benefit.
- Referral Benefit(s) in the form of credits to purchase a Nanodegree program or Udacity products or services, have no value outside of the Site, are not considered cash, and cannot be redeemed for cash.
- Referred Users are limited to one referral per program (e.g., you cannot receive two Recipient Benefits to a program from more than one individual. In the event that you are invited more than once or by more than one person for the same Nanodegree program, the first referral received and utilized will be the official referral for a given program).
- No Participant Benefit is transferable, for re-sale, barter, or trade, and no Referral Benefit can be applied to past purchases.
- Use of any Referral Benefit cannot be combined with any other offers, promotional codes, discounts, or coupons.
- Referral Benefit(s) cannot be used by Participants toward any Nanodegree Program provided by, or offered through, Sponsored Services, Scholarships, Enterprise Offerings, or Educational Partners.
- Members Referral Benefits in the form of credits towards Nanodegree programs are subject to our refund policy for the specific Nanodegree Program (e.g., If you cancel within the first 48 hours, any applicable Referral Benefit may be reapplied to your dashboard and you will be able to utilize that Referral Benefit toward the purchase of another Nanodegree Program, provided that Members may only obtain one refund for such referral credit, and are subject to any other restrictions and/or expiration set forth herein). Referred Users who receive a Recipient Benefit in the form of a one-time use coupon (in the form of a credit towards a purchase of a Nanodegree program or other Udacity product or service) are not entitled to any refund of the Referred User coupon value or amount once that coupon has been redeemed.
- Other restrictions or limitations relating to the Referral Program, Referral Benefits or Recipient Benefits may be included in the specific Referral Program opportunity that is published by Udacity or Talkable, and are incorporated by this reference.
PARTICIPANT CODE OF CONDUCT
The following list sets forth standards of conduct that you must comply with in order to be eligible for participation in the Referral Program.
- A Member must not send unsolicited commercial emails, “spam”, or bulk email distribution to individuals with whom they are not personally connected. Additionally, any commercial or other marketing communication Member publishes or sends cannot hide or mislead as to the subject matter or sender of the solicitation and must include a means for the recipient to opt-out of such communications. Invite Links should not be distributed via commercial websites (such as coupon websites). Failure to adhere to these requirements, may be a violation of the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing (CAN-SPAM) Act of 2003 and/or analogous federal, state, and international laws.
- Federal, state, and international privacy laws govern how and when a Member can collect information on an individual, how a Member can use that information, and when a Member can share that information with others. Members must comply with all such laws and regulations, including, but not limited to, providing a clear and accurate disclosure to the Referred Users regarding why Member collects any such information and how it is used, stored, and shared. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) also provides useful information on privacy obligations. Other restrictions may be applicable under a Member’s local rules or laws and a Member is responsible for knowledge and compliance with such restrictions.
- Members must not send, publish, or share any false, misleading, or deceptive advertising or communications in connection with Members participation in the Referral Program. Such actions violate various federal, state, and/or international laws, including, but not limited to, the regulations and policies promulgated by the FTC.
- When endorsing, or providing a testimonial for, a company, product, or service, a Member must comply with all applicable federal, state, and international laws and regulations. For example, the FTC requires that, if a Member receives something of value (e.g., a free product) in return for Member’s endorsement/testimonial, Member must disclose in the testimonial/endorsement that Member has received something of value for his/her statement. If the endorsement/testimonial is provided in social media or native advertising, a Member will need to identify it as “Sponsored”, “Ad”, or another disclosure that identifies the paid nature of the statement. The FTC provides guidance on proper disclosures relating to testimonials and endorsements.
- Members must not send any Invite Links to any children under the age of 13. Additionally, Members must not send or post any Invite Links on any websites intended for, or targeted at, children under the age of 13.
- Members must not create, or enable others to create, fake, fraudulent, and/or unsubstantiated Invite Links (e.g., if Member has never participated in a Nanodegree program, s/he cannot say s/he recommends that Nanodegree program).
- Members cannot use any technology or other automated system, script, or bot to generate Referral Benefit.
- Participants must not, directly or indirectly, do anything to damage, tamper with, or corrupt the operation of the Program, any referral links or code Udacity provides to Participants, or our Services generally.
- Members must not, directly or indirectly, annoy, harass, or abuse any other person through his/her participation in the Program.
- Members cannot refer themselves in order to obtain credits, including, but not limited to, creating multiple Udacity accounts and/or sending a referral to one or more of Member’s alternate email address(es).
- Participants must comply with all trademark guidelines in connection with any pre-approved use of Udacity logos.
Udacity shall be the sole adjudicator in cases of suspected abuse, fraud, or breach of these Referral Terms by Participants. The Participants shall have no right to dispute her prohibition on participation in the Referral Program by Udacity. The Participants understand and agree that the decision of Udacity shall be final and binding on the Participants in this regard.
CANCELLATION OF REFERRAL BENEFIT AND/OR PARTICIPATION
CHANGES TO THE REFERRAL PROGRAM TERMS AND CONDITIONS OR REFERRAL PROGRAM
Udacity reserves the right to modify these Referral Terms at any time, at its sole discretion, and without notice to Participants. As a Participant, your continued participation in the Referral Program constitutes your binding acceptance of these Referral Terms. If at any time the Referral Terms are no longer acceptable to you, you should immediately cease participation in the Referral Program.The Referral Program is temporary in nature. Udacity reserves the sole and absolute right to change, terminate, suspend or modify all or any part of the Referral Program.
The benefits or rewards by Udacity through the Referral Program to the Members may be taxable. State and local tax laws may apply to the Members. Members are solely responsible for reporting such reward by Udacity on their tax returns and paying any associated tax liability.
Udacity, its employees, officers and directors are not responsible or liable for any damages, or economic or emotional loss because of the Members’ and/or the Referred Users’ participation in the Referral Program. Participants releases Udacity, its employees, officers and directors from any and all claims, including claims that acts or omissions by Udacity, resulted in any damages, or economic or emotional loss because of the Members’ and/or the Referred Users’ participation in the Referral Program and/or use of the Referral Benefit.
Participants agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Udacity and its employees, officers, directors, representatives, and agents harmless from and against any and all third-party claims, demands, liabilities, costs, or expenses, including attorney’s fees and costs, arising from, or related to any breach by the Participant of any of the terms and conditions of the Referral Terms or any violation by the Participant of the applicable law.